Home Innovations Dog Owners Should Be Careful: Why A Walk In The Field And Forest Can Currently Be Dangerous

Dog Owners Should Be Careful: Why A Walk In The Field And Forest Can Currently Be Dangerous


If you go for a walk with your dog in the forest, you should watch out for certain herbs and vermin remedies, especially in spring. Because many plants and products can be poisonous for your four-legged friends.

Dog owners, watch out: Beware of slug pellets

With the beginning of the gardening season and with the sowing in the fields, slug pellets and insecticides are used again. This can be dangerous for dogs, because slug pellets in particular have a sweet smell and are eaten by dogs, warns the magazine "Ein Herz fur Tiere" (April 2021 edition).
Owners should therefore watch out for suspicious pellets or other grit, especially when walking near fields. In addition, they should find out what resources they can use in the garden. If a dog has eaten slug pellets, symptoms such as saliva, vomiting, muscle cramps and tremors appear after about an hour. The sooner dog owners go to the vet and express their suspicions; the safer the dog can be helped.

Wild garlic: Toxic for dogs and horses

In the federal state of Bremen, dogs must from 15.3. in the open countryside on a leash to protect other animals during the so-called breeding and setting time.
Dishes with wild garlic are considered delicious and healthy. Unfortunately, this does not apply to everyone. The weeds are poisonous for dogs and horses, warns Tina Holster, a veterinarian from the animal welfare organization Action Tier. It destroy the red blood cells and lead to anemia. This is due to the effect of the toxin methylcysteine sulfoxide in wild garlic.
The first symptoms of such poisoning are irritation of the mucous membranes. But it can hardly be diagnosed in animals because they cannot communicate their complaints. Usually the owner only notices that something is wrong with his darling when he has diarrhea and vomiting. There is no real antidote. The vet can only try to stabilize the animal's circulation with infusions. In the worst case, a blood transfusion will be required to replace the broken red blood cells.
It is difficult to say what amount of wild garlic is fatal for dogs or horses. The dose depends on the weight of the animal and the amount of toxins contained in the wild garlic. Both vary greatly. "Therefore, dog and horse owners are well advised to simply not feed their animal any wild garlic, and then they are on the safe side," advises the veterinarian. She recommends removing the wild garlic and the tuber from the soil on paddocks too.